Updated: May 10
Now lovelies, who doesn't hanker for a smoking-hot Mexican dish on those nippy nights, or a mariachi-worthy Mexican banquet to share with your mates and relatives, come rain or shine! Now, brace yourselves, because this Chili con Vegetarian Carne recipe is the genuine article. Merely pondering it has my taste buds doing a tango! It's so tantalising, you'll be rumba-ing with each mouthful! Prepare for a flavour carnival that'll kindle your spirit and have you pining for an encore. Olé, sweethearts! - Ready to stir up a storm with Chili con Vegetarian Carne? Let's get cooking!
Time: 40 minutes | Serves: 4
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion (diced)
4 garlic cloves (crushed)
1 yellow and 1 red capsicum (diced) - also known as bell peppers
6 mushrooms (diced)
460g plant-based mince (we used Quorn mince)
1x 400g tinned crushed tomatoes
1x 400g tinned kidney beans
1x 250g tinned sweet corn
1 vegetable stock cube (crushed using a fork to make the powder)
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder (mild or hot)
1 chili (diced) - optional
2 teaspoons paprika powder
1 tablespoon concentrated tomato paste
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Sour cream, to serve
1 cup rice (we used wild rice, but feel free to cook your preferred rice type)
* If you're a meat eater, you can substitute the vegan mince for beef mince!
HOT TIP: also sprinkle with any grated cheese as an option!
HOW TO MAKE IT
The Chili con Vegetarian Carne:
1. On medium heat, let the onions sashay in oil in a pan for a minute, add garlic, and cook till they're as soft as a soap opera starlet's heart.
2. Toss in the vegan mince, and let it sizzle for a spicy 5-minute number.
3. Bring on the mushrooms, and let them join the pan dance for about 5 minutes.
4. Now, let the capsicum take a spin on the pan dancefloor for a bit.
5. Stir in the rosemary, paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper, and cumin powder. Give it a good mix and let the flavours boogie for 5 minutes.
6. Add the crushed tomatoes and kidney beans, and let them crash the cook-up party.
7. Mix in the sweet corn, and add a bit of chopped chili if you're feeling extra spicy.
8. Toss in the sugar, vegetable stock powder, tomato paste, and a cup of water. Give it a whirl, let it simmer for 25 mins on medium heat, stirring occasionally, and get your rice on the go!
1. Swish and rinse 1 cup of rice to get rid of any drama-queen starch.
2. Pop the rice together with 2 cups of water into a microwave-safe bowl.
3. Zap it in the microwave for 22 minutes at 600 watts, and you've got yourself steamy, delightful rice!