Updated: May 10
Ooh, get ready for a flavor sensation, my dears! This dish is a true chameleon, with flavors that will make your taste buds dance with joy. It's vegan, versatile, and won't break the bank! It's called rougaille, or rougail, and it's a sauteed tomato-based dish straight from the Creole cuisine of Mauritius. The beauty of this dish is that you can throw in any veggie or protein you fancy, whether it's fish, meat, or plant-based options. It's perfect when you're watching your pennies, as it won't cost you an arm and a leg. Get your taste buds ready for a treat, love!
Time: 40 minutes | Serves: 4
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 garlic cloves (crushed or grated)
1 large onion (finely chopped)
Ginger (thumb size finely chopped) or 1 tablespoon of crushed ginger in a jar
1 tablespoon cumin
2x eggplants (diced) - also known as aubergines or brinjals
180g plant-based veal
2x 400g tinned crushed tomatoes
1 bunch of fresh parsley
1 bunch of fresh coriander - also known as cilantro or Chinese parsley
1 chili (finely chopped) - optional
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1cup rice (we used Basmati rice which best suites this dish)
HOW TO MAKE IT
1. Heat up the oil on medium heat and let the onions sizzle for a minute. Then, add the garlic, ginger, and cumin and let them sing for 2 minutes.
2. Toss in the eggplant and plant-based veal, stir like crazy, and let the party continue on high heat for 5 minutes.
3. Pour in the crushed tomatoes, mix it up like a DJ, and let it all simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, don't forget to cook up that rice, lovelies!
4. Season with salt, pepper, chili flakes (if you're feeling feisty), parsley, and coriander. Give it all a good stir, cover the pot, and let it simmer away for 20 minutes on medium to high heat. Don't forget to stir it up now and then!
1. Give your cup of rice a good rinse, like a spa treatment for rice grains.
2. Add 2 cups of water, pop that rice in a microwave-safe bowl, and cook it in the microwave for 22 minutes at 600 watts.
Voila! Your rice is ready, steamy and delicious, just like you!
~ Serve up your Rougaille (or rougail) on top of a bed of rice and get ready for a taste explosion in your mouth!
Bon appétit bébé!