Updated: May 10
Oh, firneds! Picture this: us in the kitchen, fridge open, when inspiration hits like a sequin under stage lights. We find plant-based veal, catwalk-ready courgette, spa-fresh mushrooms, and lonely yogurt. Throw in garden-fresh parsley and, voila, we're cooking up a meat-free, Zurich-Style treat. So prepare yourself for a veggie veal extravaganza that'll have your taste buds doing the conga and your fridge feeling like a star!
Time: 30 minutes | Serves: 4
50g dairy-free butter
1 onion (diced)
4 garlic cloves (crushed)
180g plant-based veal
8 brown mushrooms (diced)
1 courgette (diced) (also known as zucchini in some countries)
100ml red wine
200g plain dairy-free yogurt
120ml vegetable stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 bunch of fresh parsley (finely chopped)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1cup rice (we used basmati rice, but feel free to cook your preferred rice type)
* If you're a meat eater, you can substitute plant-based veal for real veal!
HOW TO MAKE IT
The Zurich-Style Mix:
1. In a pan, sizzle onions in butter on medium heat, add garlic and cook till they're softer than a cashmere onesie.
2. Toss in that plant-based veal, and give it a little jiggle for a few minutes.
3. Time for mushroom mania! Sauté those beauties with a shimmy and a shake.
4. Now, add the courgette to the pan party, and dance for a bit.
5. Splash in the red wine and veggie stock, mix it all up like a DJ, and let it groove for a few moments.
6. Blend in tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, yogurt, salt, pepper, flour, and parsley. Give it a whirl, simmer for 20 mins on medium heat, and get your rice on!
1. Swish and rinse 1 cup of rice to get rid of any diva-like surface starch.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, pop 2 cups of water on the rice for a great spa experience in the microwave.
3. Zap it for 22 minutes at 600 watts, and voilà, you've got steamy, scrumptious rice!
~ Serve that Zurich-Style sensation on a rice runway, with a parsley confetti shower.
Bon appétit bébé!
WHAT IS ZURICH-STYLE SAUCE?
Zurich-Style sauce, also known as "Zürcher Geschnetzeltes" in Swiss-German, is a popular creamy mushroom sauce that originated in Zurich, Switzerland.
It is typically made with thinly sliced veal, onions, mushrooms, and a creamy sauce made with flour, red or white wine, and heavy cream. The sauce is often seasoned with herbs and spices such as parsley, thyme, and garlic, and often served over noodles or potatoes, or rice. Zurich-Style sauce is known for its rich and savory flavor, and it has become a beloved dish in Swiss cuisine, enjoyed by locals and tourists alike.
BENEFITS OF THIS MEAL
This vegetarian plant-based Zurich-Style veal and mushrooms is a flavorful and nutritious dish that provides several health benefits. Here are some of the benefits of this dish:
Rich in plant-based protein: This dish is made with plant-based veal, which provides a good source of protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissues in the body and helps to maintain muscle mass.
Low in saturated fat: This dish is free from animal products and contains very little saturated fat, which is good for heart health and can help to reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and stroke.
High in fiber: The brown mushrooms and courgettes used in this dish are high in fiber, which can help to promote healthy digestion and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and certain cancers.